
Finally made a decision two weeks ago to do something about my deteriorating health. Genetics are something over which we have little control, but poor eating habits, even if taught can be relearned. I had read the Atkins book and the the Protein Power book, but three weeks ago I reread them and started thinking about the personal stories contained within.
I was originally diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes when I was 28 (genetic predisposition, working 12 hour shifts 7 days a week...eating fast food while being constantly on the go in my 4X4 office and really crappy sleeping patterns due to the numbnuts I was consulting at a few sites and on a few projects). Anywho, I was diagnosed, and over 5 months I lost 50 lbs, getting down to 170 lbs. I was feeling great(size 34 pants were loose on me) and because of my work and exercise routine I was able to eat pretty well what wanted again. I was also more than a little smug. Then, I had an accident that put me on WC and in physical rehab for 2 years. Depression, boredom and the inability to much more than lurch(I developed a fascination for belltowers at this time) all brought it back and more.
The first time I read Protein Power was after a friend of mine from university, who I hadn't seen for awhile, met with me for lunch. He had used the program and had managed to drop an enormous amount of pork in a short time...around 70 lbs. I was intrigued because, let's call him J, had never been an overly active individual, yet here he was much thinner. I wanted in on the secret. That's when he told me about Protein Power. I read the book and tried to apply it, but the siren call of bread, pasta and potatoes proved too much. The weight came back, and like an evil immigrant, it brought family....aunties, uncles, cousins...even the retarded banjo playing one that is usually hidden in a locked room in the basement when social services comes calling.
Last year I was put on insulin because oral meds didn't seem to be working well enough to keep my sugars down. About 7 months ago my vision began to become problematic in my left eye(I've always had trouble with iritis, since i was 18). I was glad that I still had a good right eye...then surprise , soon after that my vision started going blurry and distorted in that eye. Fate you bitch, step away from the lightning!!
I went to the opthamologist and was told that I had developed a macular degeneration, later that night it started to bleed for the first time...this reinforces the male belief that one should not go the doctor, because it's only after they diagnose you that things get worse. The next day I had the fun of having an avistin injection in my eye to shrink the bleeding growth.
It was also about this time that my insulin requirements started climbing from an initial 14 units to 42 units a day, and with the insulin increase came more weight gain. I was getting desperate. I tried going low fat...sugars went up...tried vegetarian and my students complained they didn't like the way I was looking at them.
Last month I was in the book store searching through the limited English titles and lo and behold I saw Protein Power. It must have been a message from God...You're too fat for the Rapture. Well to tie things up, two weeks ago I began the regimen again and already, I've decreased my insulin by 40% and my oral meds by 1/2. I hope to try and pass on healthier eating habits to our youngest, than what I learned growing up. my eldest is 6'1" and 180 lbs right now so hopefully he avoids the bad genes.
Hopefully I remember to keep posting and share some personal menu ideas and weight loss/health success updates.

No comments:
Post a Comment