Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Chinese cooking and low carb

Never gave much thought to it before, but I realize almost everything here is cooked with small amounts of sugar or starch to make everything palatable. We did takeout from the local buffet and I noticed that even the pork with onions and peppers had a slight sweet taste to it. The beans and even the broccoli and cauliflower were in a slightly starchy sauce. Throughout the day i'd been cautious with my carbs and figured I could risk a smidgen of sweetness on a few dishes. I guess it worked, as my blood sugars didn't break 106.

This morning breakfast was a protein shake. Berry Blast flavour, 1/3 c frozen blackberries, a shot of heavy cream and some ice and water to give it the proper consistency. I chased it with a good cup of java(initially I wrote jo but realized that someone might think I was taking protein supplements too far.....ewwww) and a shot of arf and arf. Lunch will likely be a leg of chicken and mixed veggies(broccoli, cauliflower, peppers and celery). Fourth night with no insulin.

No comments: