I guess I should explain the title of my latest blog, so here goes......
Last night a few teachers made the slip half way throught the talent night at the school(that damn nun phoned the university office looking for me and the nimrod secretary told her I didn't have any classes...idjit), or maybe a little less than half way if I'm to be completely honest. Well the inevitable, "where's the closest restaurant that serves lots of cheap beer?" So initially four of us made it to a little BBQ joint about a 2 minute walk from my place.
We began the feast with several courses of barley appetizers, which in hind sight was not such a good idea. One of the teachers, an ABC, ordered what she claimed was a favourite snack of hers and asked us if we wished to partake. By this time, we had consumed enough appetizers to bolster our courage and skew our good judgement(reminds me of some of the ooopsies I got into while I was a young AB) and agreed to challenge our palates. Five minutes later out came this plate of deep fried little balls with puckered little holes, remarkably similar to a sphincter. That should have been warning enough. But by this time our empty appetizer vessels were starting to accumulate on the table. Bye Bye common sense. Mark, the bravest (and likely most intoxicated by this time) member decided to dig in. Hell, when you come from an area where coon, squirrel and possum are included in the local cookbooks and NASCAR is an official religion, why would he worry about these little curiousities. When asked how it was he replied in his good ole boy twang 'slike gristle, a little chewy.' When asked how it tastes, he replied, 'slike summ'in you shouldn't put in your mouth.'
The laughter had all the Taiwanese staring at our table. Yeah, like they're quiet. We were eventually told what it was we were eating , deep fried squid eyes. Yum freaking yum. Later I'll regale you with our honking plate of rooster testicles story.
Well enough of all that. It's been a while since my last post, so I'll try and catcc you up on what has transpired or expired. Two weeks ago we had to make a trip to Taipei to renew our passports. What we thought was going to be a two hour process ended up being a two day excursion. The Canadian passport office in Taipei is only opened until 11:30 AM for some bizarre reason and if there is anything the least out of order, you are capital s screwed. There were two highlights to the trip, we found a nice hotel, with (PRAISE JEEEEESUS) western matresses, and we got to ride the new bullet train. Almost as fast as the plane and no passport/id crap to go through. It has a top speed of 300 kph and it takes 1.3 hours to go from Taipei to Kaohsiung.
I guess I shouldn't say two highlights, we did hit the new Eslite Bookstore, which is 8 stories tall and we made it to Burger King. The only one in Kaohsiung is located in the foodcourt of a hospital right next to Cardiology unit. Go figure.
The weather is starting to heat up now, with day time highs hitting the low 30s and our lows only going down to the mid 20s. I've actually turned the AC on twice in the last two weeks, but just in the bedroom. Shannon had her 38th birthday last week and got cake twice, as her school bought her one as well (the other teachers ate almost all of it though). That's all for now, I'll post more about the Sisiters of Insanity later, as right now it's like a boil about to burst and it ain't gonna be purty when she blows.

2 comments:
ABC teacher? Who or what is this, and I do believe NASCAR is a religion.
Not sure how many beers I would need before attempting to eat (or even lick) something that looked like an a-hole. Not something I'm itchin' to put to the test either.
Post a Comment