Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Cabin Fever


Had enough of the house for awhile and thought I'd go out for a drive for some peace and quiet. Wong idea, and yes I meant to miss that 'r', because every Wang, Weng, Wing, Wong and Wung had the same idea as I did.


I started off heading towards Wanshoushan to watch the monkeys mug the Chinese of their food. No such luck because half the city was up there and even the macaques know they can't taken on half a million Taiwanese. So, I drove down out of the park, dodging cars coming up a one way street the wong way (yes, again the spelling was intentional). Finally after 1/2 hour, in what should have been a 10 minute drive I found the ocean. I know of only one person, who shall remain nameless (P-O-T-O-R-O-......no I said they'll remain nameless) who couldn't find the ocean while on an island. Let's just say it's a good thing Columbus wasn't part Ukrainian. Anyways, I made it down to the Harbour mouth and found the other half of the city.


Well I eased my scooter onto a flower bed (hey, when in Rome) and squeezed through the crowd to make it down to the break water to take some pictures. Soon I was being entertained by a round of bumper ferries as people were crowding onto tiny barges for a 10 minute ride to Chichin Island. These are the people who haven't yet realized that you can drive there via a tunnel at the south end of the island. But having driven there, all you can do is circle around, because there is no place to park. Road rage in nothing compared to parking rage.


After taking a few pictures and a few thousand "Hello-wuh, how ah you-wuh?" I dared the Yellow Sea and fought my way to my scooter , now sharing the flower bed with 4 more scooters, but unfortunately no more flowers (I think a family was opening a convenience store on it as I left).


After that little adventure downtown, I decided to drive home via alleys and side walks. Taiwanese do move, when you gun your engine and drive straight at them, eventually. I think I may have tresspassed on some military property on the way back because some soldiers were shaking their fists at me and yelling. Oh well, we each got to our ways chuckling and thinking 'stupid foreigner!'


Well I finally made it home in time to be told to go pick up supper. Guess what we're having Chinese tonight! This weekend should be a little more interesting as one of the other teachers wants to head to Shiao Liocho (Little Lio Cho Island), a 35 minute ferry ride from Kaohsiung and raid the local coral reef for his fish tank. Will hopefully get some pictures of that.

No comments: